Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cambodia - Siem Reap Day 1/6

6 day trip, full of so many many interesting things, not sure if I can remember. Here goes:

Day 1: I bunked over at Fi's so her Dad could drive us to the airport together, all went well, luggage is all packed, passports, tickets, everything in order. Had breakfast at Coffee Bean in T1, took a few shots, had a few laughs and it was time for boarding. Headed to the boarding gate and boom!!

Fi can't go Cambodia with me. :( Turns out, her passport was like only a week past the required 6 months for entry into Cambodia. Can't even describe how bad I felt for her. It's insane!! But I was already the last one into the plane, so I had to leave her behind and board. I'm so sorry dude!!!!

Anyway, still in a semi-daze, I boarded the plane, caught a few zzzs and landed in Siem Reap's airport in a jiffy. 1 1/2hr flight. Sent an sms to Fi and Dad and proceeded out of the airport to meet the bloke who was supposed to pick us up.

My Official Ride for 6 days. A tuk-tuk.

The bloke who picked me up and will be my dedicated driver. I call him Mr. Han.

Trying to take a view of the Cambodian Countryside, with a fantastic view of the tuk-tuk cover instead.

My very own drink pack!! (I feel so pampered)

The place I'll be staying at. Luxury villa 15 mins drive away from the town.

While they were processing my check-in, drinks and snack on the house. I think it was iced lemongrass tea and Khmer pancake with coconut and palm sugar. Yum.

Off to my pad!

My room, no.2. It's a humongous room, with a humongous bathroom + humongous stone tub.

Humongous bed

I should've brought a larger luggage huh?

Writing corner....?

The view peeking out of my window. Yep, that's a pool. Saltwater in fact. Me no likey saltwater pools.

After resting a bit, I went out again, mainly for lunch but Mr Han suggested I drop by Artisan's Stone Centre for a bit. I read about the place in the Lonely Planet guide. The Centre was originally set up by a French woman, who wanted to train impoverished or handicapped Khmer people in handicrafts so they can have a skill to sustain themselves. Now, if I remember right, 20 or 40% of the centre is run by a Cambodian organization, so less "Ang Moh" influence. Goodo.

Young man hammering out elephants on a piece of copper.

Look at the detail!!

Scribbles here ain't vandalism. The master marked out problem spots for correction.

Stone panels depicting Ancient Cambodian life.

After Artisans, I was starving, so Mr Han brought me to Pub Street (my request) to try out the restaurants here. It's a street that pretty much caters to tourists, but since it's my first time, in Cambodia, I intend to eat at a place where I can read what they are serving.

Clear noodles with Pork? Bring it on!!

And the serving that came was HUMONGOUS!! I may be fat, but I can't eat THAT much. See, this is Before:

And after:

I hate stuffing myself when I am already full, so I asked the waitress to pack it up for me. And cos I had like half an hr to kill before Mr Han picked me up, I wandered over to Old Market for a look see.

Spices and Teas sold in colorful weaved baskets and containers.

2pm, Mr Han picked me up and back to the villa I went. I had planned to clock in 2-3 hrs nap cos I will be going out to Angkor Wat for a sunset picnic at 6.30. That nap never succeeded because Mom started freaking out about me being in Cambodia alone, Dad was asking about the car (don't ask) and Uncle was also asking about the car (again, don't ask). So all in all, I slept.... 10 mins.

Wheee~ Off to Angkor Wat!

The queue before the ticketing booths for Angkor Park. I got a 3 day pass for US $40.

Sunset (but there was none! Bloody clouds...) picnic across the moat at Angkor Wat. Sojourn gave me a 2 person share of olives, cheese, toasted bread and a whole bottle of wine.

Back at Sojourn at 8pm, wondering what to do with the leftover food.

Day 2 to come!!

1 comment:

hanmony said...

Dear Jinny
I am very sorry to border you.
But first I would like to once again
thank you for your kindness and your supports.I would like to inform you that I do not work for the Villa of Siem Reap any more.Because the Villa is no longer under the Australians management.The Australians have stop leased the Villa about two months ago.
Since then I do not work for any guest-houses or hotels .I am now alone by myself most of the times I
am around the old market. Asking tourists to use my tuk tuk services. To their places or to see
the temples.If you do not mind ,and know someone to come to Siem Reap
Could you please recommend them to my services and pass my email or my mobile phone to those to come to Siem Reap.If they need a safe,reliable,honest,and mostly knowledge driver.I am to some tourists known as the finest,considerate,a spirit of peace and love.My email address is
hanmony005@yahoo.com My Gmail is hanmony009@gmail.com My phone numbers is 012879207. To contact me direct that means tourists will be
paying lower prices to see the temples. Because there will be no extra charged by the hotels or guest-houses for commissions.Then my customers will pay less for their trips.Thank you.
Kindest Regards
Your former tuk tuk driver in Siem Reap Angkor.