Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Piano Questions 101 Part 1

Okay, today, yet another parent asked me a few questions which I thought should be clarified. Some common questions, I'll add more when I get asked.

1.) What are Grades?
Piano (along with most Orchestral instruments e.g Violin) have exams to take which are Graded. The most common examination board Singaporean students go to is the ABRSM, which sets exams up to 8 grades. (8 being the highest, 1 being the lowest.) After Grade 8, you may consider going for a diploma. Each grade consists of 2 separate exams, Theory and Practical.

2.) Must I (or my kid) take the piano exams?
Depends on what you want out of playing the piano. Do you want to learn the masterworks? Study Beethoven in detail or play the Chopin Etudes? Then yes, do go for the Graded exams. However, if you are learning for leisure, to play songs for your own enjoyment, then maybe no. Just remember that these exams are just milestones, are marker to show where your skills roughly are.

3.) Can I (or my kid) skip the Grades?
Whoo boy. The question every parent asks for their kids. Yes, and no. How does skipping work? Grade 5 cannot be skipped. Grade 8 is the end of the Grades, so no point skipping it. So, yes, Grade 1-4 can be skipped, but 5 cannot be skipped. Grade 6 and 7 can be skipped, 8 cannot be skipped.

So, to take the Grade 6 exams, you NEED the Grade 5 certs.
With me so far?
Now should you skip?
For children, preferably, no.
For adults, depends.

Exams are exams. People panic during exams. It's a way of life. If you are taking a Grade 5 exam right off the bat without prior examination experience before, chances are you will fail not because you are ill-prepared, but out of fright or nerves. (unless your teacher is one helluva teacher.)

So if you are considering skipping, please discuss in detail with your teacher.

4.) I want my kid to take the Grade 1 exam, but we don't have a piano because we are afraid s/he will lose interest. Can s/he take the exam?
My advice here would be, do try to buy a piano, or at the very very very least, a decent keyboard. (One that preferably at least 80 keys.)

Would you go take a written test if you only see your textbook once a week?
Nope.
Same logic applies here.

Touching the piano once a week for 1 hour during lessons is insufficient to take an exam.

5.) I can't afford a brand new piano, someone told me that I shouldn't buy a second-hand piano and a keyboard's touch is different from a piano. What should I do?
Find a very good keyboard (which is as expensive as a second-hand piano for certain brands) or a decent used-piano dealer who won't cheat you off your money will be the best. My advice here: Save up and scout for a good second-hand piano. If you are planning to take graded exams, a keyboard is will not suffice, because yes, the touch is different.

If you do want a second-hand piano, a few things to remember and ask the dealer.
1.) The age of the piano
2.) Brand of the piano
3.) Model number of the piano
4.) History (Used heavily or for leisure?)
5.) Check the keys and touch
6.) Play some songs, and get a feel of the sound
7.) Check for wear and tear (This, you will need a tuner you can trust to check for you.)
8.) Price

All right, 5 questions. Will post up more when I remember the questions.

No comments: