Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Appassionata 3rd movement

Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor, Op.57 also known as the Appassionata.

I've been at this piece since December, learning just the 3rd movement (Practiced a little of the 1st movement). Think my neighbors are sick of this piece.

Trivia: Appassionata was composed between 1803-1805, which was also when Beethoven was completely deaf.

Same piece of music, listen to how different it sounds at the hands of different pianists.

First, Sean Bennett, playing Appassionata, 3rd movement.


Now Arrau (god bless his soul) with the same piece, taking twice the amount of time to complete the movement.


I adore Bennett for how easy he makes playing the piece seem. I adore Arrau for the emotion he managed to portray. (Suicidal, I say.)
And no, I can't play like that. Ask me again in 10 years and maybe, just maybe...

No comments: