Sunday, August 30, 2009

Anime Otaku's Essentials on a Mac

Okay, so I have been fiddling with this Mac, (the 13" aluminium Macbook Pro) for a coupla months now and after some trial/error and testing, paired with the iphone, I found some really good programmes that I can't do without as an anime addict.

1st off: VLC media player
Quicktime does have its uses but for people like me who have 50 episodes of anime queued up in the playlist, QT doesn't work. (I tried finding a way and all I keep getting is 50 godamned video screens.) Also VLC plays everything, (I haven't found a format that it doesn't play) avi, mpv, mpeg4, and best of all, no damned codecs to install. :D Sometimes, vlc doesn't read vids off discs properly (as happened to me a coupla times) a simple solution is to dump all the vids onto your com and let it run from there. Heh.

2nd: Transmission
Torrent client for mac. Auto adds torrent files from designated folder, auto-trash torrent file if ordered to and download speeds can be seen in dock. Need I say more?

3rd: Handbrake
I love this programme. Makes converting videos easier then making a cup of instant coffee. All you need to do is select the vid to convert, then select the presets, e.g for psp or iphone and let it covert for a coupla mins and voila! You are done.

Last but not least (courtesy of Fi): RealPlayer Downloader
Crunchyroll is SO dead when I got my hands on this. It senses and asks if you want to download a vid when you watch it streamed online. I got 30 or so vids from YouTube (Most Arrau and Kempf piano performances that I can't get elsewhere, haven't hit Crunchyroll yet). The format is .flv, but if you have handbrake, who cares that I haven't seen this format before! CONVERT!!

Muaha.

No comments: