Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Say that again?

Recently, I started teaching this 6 year old boy in the music school. He is... very interesting. To put it simply, he's a well-spoken brat.

2 weeks ago, I reprimanded him for resting his elbows on the piano keys. (An atrocious habit of his.) He went all sullen so I ended the practical and started on theory, but he was still unresponsive, so I asked, half talking to myself, "Are you sulking?"

He replied. "Why do you say so?"

HE IS FREAKIN' 6 YEARS OLD!! Not only did he understand the meaning of sulk, he answered in perfect grammar.

Then I set him a page of homework, he grumbled to himself, "You gotta be kidding me."

Did I mention he is 6 years old?

Last week, due to too much coffee, I was extra hyper and accidentally brushed my red pen across his hand, leaving a small red line on his skin. When I apologized, he replied with, "It's fine."

Okkaayyyy....

TODAY, due to the severe lack of sleep and absence of coffee, I went into babbling mode, like, speaking 10 sentences in 2 seconds, kind of babble. He shot me a confused look and said, "Could you say that again?"

I decided enough was enough and tried to start a conversation with him, just to see how good his English really is.

Me: So, Chinese New Year is coming, got any plans?

Well-spoken brat (WsB): Nope, I'm probably gonna stay at home with my Dad to play the Wii.

Me: Really? Don't you have to go visit your grandparents or something?

WsB: Eva and Ernest? Nah, we don't often go visit them.

Me: Okay... aren't you looking forward to Chinese New Year?

WsB: Nope, not particularly.

Me: Well, remember to tell your Dad or Mom that you don't have to come for music lessons for the next two weeks, cos the school won't be open.

WsB: Sure.

Me: Can you remember the dates?

WsB: Of course.





Did I mention he is 6? And yes, he is 100% Singaporean. I am so gonna test just how much vocab he commands. Heh.

I so love teaching.

No comments: