Monday, February 9, 2009

Talks

Hour long talks, each with a beer in hand.

I miss talking, really talking with Dad. He is one of the few people who takes me seriously, listens to my questions and thoughts, processing it properly and giving me answers that make sense. Never a single unnecessary word uttered, every word that comes out of his mouth is weighed, measured to have no other hidden meaning from what he literally says.

How many people out there talks like that now?

I've had a question that had been weighing on my mind for awhile. It's about a decision to make, one that will alter my career path. I had asked several people close to me the exact same question, all giving either answers that are non-committal or simply doesn't make sense.

Yes, I weighed the pros and cons myself, but I was simply asking for more insight and opinions.

Dad listened, took three seconds to think, listed down pros, cons, responsibilities, dangers, all in verbal bullet point form and we spent the next half an hour discussing possible routes and hiccups.

That was all I needed people. Logical answers.

New lesson learnt: Only Dad can give answers that are truly answers for now.

No comments: